[opencms-dev] installation problem --

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Thu Jun 2 05:50:37 CEST 2005

Joel Thompson wrote:
> My platform:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux tr-50 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 athlon i386
> GNU/Linux
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon)
>
> tried Tomcat-4.1.31 (webapps dir)
> and tried jboss-4.0.1 (server/all and server/default)

	Your environment is similar to that used by another user, Ethan
Baldridge, who had problems installing OpenCms. Read the thread of
discussion that he started last week. The primary difference between his
environment and yours is that he was using Fedora Core 2, not RHEL
release 3. Apparently, Red Hat (RH) has an usual way of building the
binary RPM for Tomcat ver. 5. Furthermore, RH's binary RPM for Java (at
least its JRE portion of that package) is not necessarily compatible
with RH's binary RPM for Tomcat ver. 5. Ethan's solution was to install
Tomcat manually after removing the Tomcat binary RPM.

> I've turned on all [of] the debugging [options so as] to get
> [an] incling [sic; "inkling"]
> .  .  .  [of] the [nature of the]
> problem (as set in opencms.properties).

	Is English your native language? If so, then you need to improve your
written communication skills.

> In either case, (tomcat  directly, or jboss) I get the same problems...
> the workspace doesn't get created properly upon running:

	IIRC, this particular problem (the workspace is not created upon
installation) has been addressed at least once on this mailing list, and
perhaps even several times, rather than just once. Please search the
mailing list archives.

> http://localhost:8090/opencms/ocsetup
> it complains about files not found in the VFS directories...
> typical:
>
> 10221:    com.opencms.core.CmsException: 2 Not found. Detailed error:
> [com.opencms.file.mySql.CmsDbAccess] /default/vfs/index.html.
> 10220:     ( 1 / 1 )    !!! Exception com.opencms.core.CmsException:

> I have confirmed that the tables are installed into MYSQL correctly

	OK, that is good.

> (by
> the way version mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.9, for pc-linux-gnu (i686))
> with java connector: mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin.jar.
>
> After the workplace seems to load up OK yet with some "Missing files"
> errors. when I go to startup the opencms with:
> http://localhost:8090/opencms/opencms  I get a 404, with description:
> "The requested resource () is not available."  - I check all the logs
> for opencms.log and for tomcat, and there is NO CLUE as to what is wrong.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain