[opencms-dev] How is it possible to disable workplace? (revisited & reformatted to wrap)

Steve Mato smato at icc.net
Fri Jun 3 21:44:16 CEST 2005

Yes, I know this thread is about a 1/2 year old.
I'm trying to do the same thing as Farnaz today.
I'm about to go into production with our new website.
What I did to secure access to /system/login & workplace
was slightly different though.  It did not work
(behaviour was strangely too).  Hope someone can shed light on why.

I went so far as creating another <Service ...> instance in
server.xml, using another <Connector ...> on another port with
the necessary <Engine ...> and <Host ...> definitions under it.
I used a <Context ...> redefinition to re-point where the
/system/login and /system/workplace looked for files in that
instance, therein "disabling" them on what I'll call the
"public port".  On the "private port" site, access to those
/system/ paths were unaltered.  We will use router restrictions
to limit who can access the "private port".

...HOWEVER, when I used the "private" port site and published
something to a non-exportable dynamic page, browsing by the
private port showed the updated content, but browsing to the
public port did not show the published content ... [!!! ??? !!!!]

So why is that?  I was using the same OpenCMS Servlet in the
same Tomcat Server JVM [but different Service instance], all
going against the =same= OpenCMS database in MySQL.  Why did
browsing by the other port than the one used to publish the
new content not show the newly published content?

More important then "why", How can I get it too?  If I get that,
I can feel comfortable in that no-one in the public Internet can
even see [browse, invoke] the /system/login or /system/workplace
paths.  Farnaz and I can't be the first people attempting to do this...

[I'm using OpenCMS 5.0.1 ... sorry, but going to 6 is not an
option @ the moment]

Best Regards,
Steve Mato

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Wed Oct 6 10:27:02 CEST 2004

workplace.limited.port may or may not work in 5.0.x. I must say that this
feature never was really tested much.

In 6.0, you can just place the workplace site to a different hostname/post
and have your Firewall protect access to this.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts