[opencms-dev] TemplateOne questions

Joe McFadden Joe.McFadden at icr.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 19:03:42 CEST 2005

Hi Arash,

Thanks again for your help - I've been looking at other projects
the last few days and but now have a couple of days clear
to get to grips with OpenCMS 6.

The multi-site configuration docs and your explanation make sense.

However, I think this is specific to cases where you want different
parts of a site served under different URLs. In my case,
I just want to have something like

intranet.somecompany.com/department1

intranet.somecompany.com/department2

and have each departmental area managed by different staff.
This I think is most simply achieved with separate projects in a single
site.
Correct?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe McFadden, IT Strategy and Projects Manager
Institute of Cancer Research, 123 Old Brompton Rd LONDON SW7 3RP
Email: joe.mcfadden at icr.ac.uk     Web: http://www.icr.ac.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7153 5363	      Fax: +44 (0) 20 7970 6019

>>> arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de 02/06/2005 20:10:44 >>>
Joe,

> If I want to have 2 separate content areas (with different groups of
> editors) for an intranet site,
> with the potential to add further content areas in the future, what
is
the best way to manage this in OpenCMS?

You have to setup a multisite configuration, you can do this easily by
adding a second site node to the opencms-system.xml:

   <default-uri>/sites/intranet1/</default-uri><br />
   <site server="http://www.sitea.de" uri="/sites/intranet1/>
     <alias server="http://cms.intranet1"/>
   </site>
   <site server="http://www.siteb.de" uri="/sites/intranet2/">
     <alias server="http://cms.intranet1"/>
   </site>

And create to sites beneath the sites folder, e.g. /sites/intranet1
and
/sites/intranet2, read the Alkacon-Documentaion about Multisite
Configuration!

> Have I understood this correctly? We may want to manage other sites
from the same openCMS in the future, so I assume this > is just a case
of creating separate site modules for each site.

Yes you are on the right way, it is very easy, but you must set the
right permissions for the different goups on the site nodes, which
shall
be allowed to select the right templates from the different modules,
you
shall set the permissions on the jsp templates accordingly! It must be
also possible to have one module with different templates to achive
this! For example if you have two Master-Templates
master_intranet1.jsp
and master_intranet2.jsp, you can allow the group intrante1 to select
the first template and intranet 2 group to select the second master
template, by setting the permissions accordingly, hope I don't say
anything wrong ;-)

> Finally, what is the effect of making a folder of type 'microsite'?

The microsite is a special site type (site template), which allows you
to "quickly" create a site with folders and configuration files, but I
think it uses the templateone resources, but I recommend to create
your
sites manualy, it is only a matter of few minutes :-)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Arash Kaffamanesh