[opencms-dev] Best way?

Anatol opencms at recordcaster.de
Tue Jun 14 17:51:00 CEST 2005

Hi all!

I'm at a point where I have to choose one way (of min. two ways) for the
next steps. I've to handle many datasets. Perhaps up to 10.000. The
normal way is to create a database and some tables where to put in the
data. There I can serach and manage all the content I need.

Whats now with opencms? There are structert XML content files. All
sounds very good, but for what it should be used and for what not?!

Is it possible and wise to create for every dataset an new
xml-content-file like a row in a table? Can I serach over all the files
to get a special collection? for example I have a list of thousand of
books, and want to collect all the files describing books written
between 1830 and 1920, or I want to selcet all the books from one
author? If it is possible, whats about the performance? Would opencms
grow up to a killerapp?

This approach is a documentoriantated like using by "Lotus Notes". Is
opencms ready for such a way? Or is it better to built a "bridge"
between a normal database and the opencms structure?

Greetings
Anatol