[opencms-dev] reg:steps in implementing an OpenCms to transform our existing websites.

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:46:46 CEST 2005

At this point your problem is more a project management one than
technical. First thing I would do is make a complete inventory of what
your firm has on its website. Pay careful attention to components that
are not static content (eg search engines, forms, databases etc).
Sometimes these components can be left running where they are and are
linked from the content generated from the CMS. But sometimes this is
not possble -- and here is where things can get tricky -- will need to
integrate them (somehow) with the CMS.

Next I would evaluate one or more CMS systems. I believe OpenCms is
very good and should be high on your list. Keep in mind the more
difficult items from the first step when performng the evaluation(s).
This is very time consuming stuff. I think it will take most people at
least a week and problably a lot more to fully evaluate one good CMS
package.

Also remember who the users will be when the system is deployed (will
they be HTML gurus who have no trouble learning new systems or will
they be non-technical staff who will want to learn as little as
possible to do their job). Personally I think OpenCms is good here
(but I've yet to find out for sure as I'm still in development phase).

Also remember what your traffic is: test under relastic load
conditions. Some CMS systems are constantly pulling stuff from
databases which works up to a point. Beyond that the whole thing just
falls apart.. (you've probably seen the database errors on some sites,
especially after a slashdotting). I think you will be ok with OpenCms
as most content will be servied from cache or static export directory.
But no harm testing that for yourself.

Joe.