[opencms-dev] Should upload mechanism be a user preference?

Andras Balogh andras at reea.net
Thu Jun 23 11:39:46 CEST 2005

Hello,

Joe Desbonnet wrote:

>It's my understanding that the upload mechanism is currently a global
>setting in
>WEB-INF/config/opencms-workplace.xml
>
>Should this be a user workplace preference? The upload applet is nice,
>but not all computers that will be accessing my system will have Java
>installed. It would be nice if the applet could be switched off on a
>per user basis.

This is already possible, check the Preferences  button on Explorer View
and there is a checkbox
"Use Upload-Applet".

>A suggestion for the upload tool: I would find it *very* useful to be
>able to cut and paste the location of an image by URL.
>
>Example: if I am converting a site to use OpenCms, instead of saving
>the image to local disk and then uploading  I could just right click
>on the image, select "Copy Link Location" (I'm using Mozilla Firefox),
>then paste the URL into an upload form and let the server retrieve the
>image.

It might be better to grab the whole old site with a program like wget
and than you will have all the images on your
local disk. You can even zip all of them and upload all in one step.
This is nice ;)

Best regards,
Andras.