[opencms-dev] Can I run OpenCMS 6 without Apache

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:02:08 CEST 2005

You can with one restriction: On unix systems ports numbers 1 - 1023
are privileged and can only be used by the superuser "root". Port 80
is the default HTTP port.

That means you must run Tomcat on a port > 1023 if you dont want to
run Tomcat under root (which is not nice). Normally Apache is used to
map parts or all of the HTTP request space to the Tomcat server so
that it appears to run on port 80. I think there are other tricks
also, eg using port mapping.

Joe.