[opencms-dev] System users vs. Site users

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:09:43 CEST 2005

I'm not sure if OpenCms is best suited to a Wiki like system where
anyone can auto-sign up and post material, but there is no reason why
you can't modify it do do that. (Have you evaluated the various Wiki
systems out there?)

I'm not sufficiently familiar with OpenCms internals to answer your
question with certainty.  I suppose you could could append directly to
the CMS_USERS table directory, but I'm not sure if it will be
automatically picked up without a restart (it may cache stuff) --
you'll have to try to find out. You could also tackle it from at the
Java level. Get a Java IDE eg Eclipse, and checkout the OpenCms source
from CVS: it's a handy way to browse the code.

Unfortunately I don't have any quick answers to your questions. You
will have to go through the pain of learning by trial and error. But
it's worth it. If you are familiar with Java a good week or two of
should get you over the major hurdles. Alternatively if you have a
budget there may be some people on the list that provide consultancy
(eg Alkacon, the guys that write the software).

Joe.