[opencms-dev] max_allowed_packet setting for the client?

ark-d at betasystems.com ark-d at betasystems.com
Wed Jul 27 15:28:10 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I have the following problem as many of you had before by uploading files >
16MB.
if I set the "max_allowed_packet=64M" in my.cnf (my.ini on windows) for
mysqld, I still can't upload files > 16M.

On dev.mysql website I can read the following:

"Both the client and the server have their own max_allowed_packet variable,
so if you want to handle big packets, you must increase this variable both
in the client and in the server.!

source :  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/packet-too-large.html

so now my question:

does OpenCms / Tomcat act as a client for mysql (obviously yes)?
if yes, how can I set the "max_allowed_packet=64M" variable for the client
to be able to upload files > 16MB to the database?

I have tried to set CATALINA_OPTS, JAVA_OPTS, export max_allowed_packet=64M
and some other settings over the shell on linux and windows,
but none of them help and I could read in OpenCms source that the file size
to upload depends on the available memory on the server and I know, there
is no setting in opencms-*.xml or opencms.properties file for that.

I also have increased the heap size for tomcat with -Xms=512M -Xmx=1024M.

What happens:

The upload process goes to the end and the file will be shown in the
workplace with the right size, but if I download it (a zip file) it has
exactly 16MB.

I'm using:

OpenCms 6.0.0 and 6 Beta3
Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5
MySQL 4.0.21 and MySQL 4.1.13

Does this problem exist with Oracle 9i too?
Has anybody tried to upload files > 16M to a Oracle 9 database?

Thanks for possible hints.

Best Regards,
Arash