[opencms-dev] Prompting a user to login?

Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Sun Jul 31 15:49:52 CEST 2005

Andrew,

To force a system user for accessing a page, you shall use the
permissions mechanism of OpenCms user management as follow:

Deny the access to the guest user (right click on a resource, select
permissions, choose the guest group, deny the access to the guest group)
and allow your specific user / group to access your resource.

The other solution for non-system users is the use of Webusers in
OpenCms, as I can imagine Webusers can't access the workplace, but they
can view some parts of the site, but I don't know how exactly that can
be done at the moment. I thought it would be possible to give certain
permissions to the webuser via the user management functionality, but I
couldn't find such a thing.

If somebody knows how it works, please advice.

Regarding a quickstart tutorial (for users and not for developers) I
have written a small help page for it at:

http://www.pomegranate.de/en/OpenSource/OpenCMS/OpenCMS-OnlineHelp.html

Which is incomplete yet and a work in progress.

But I guess that you are searching for a developer tutorial. Bbeside
Alkacon's Online Help the opencmsbook
http://www.opencmsbook.com/ could be a good starting point, although it
was written for opencms 5.0 version, but it could be a great help for
everybody, and the best dokumentation is the source itself ;-)

Best Regards,
Arash