[opencms-dev] FW: opencms-dev Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

Tim Howland thowland at organic.com
Thu Aug 4 14:59:57 CEST 2005

 Hey Collin-

Here are some previous threads on clustering, from my experiences on
getting blindsided by a client with crazy high traffic loads.

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2003q2/005485.html

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2004q2/010554.html

Basically, setting up parallel tomcat servers works great, and you can
pretty much rely on the mod_jk load balancer to cross connect your
apache instances to the tomcats. You'll want to arrange mysql
replication and some sort of heartbeat arrangement to get failover down
to the mysql level, but mysql failures seem rare in my experience, if
you're on an old enough version.

However, there is a problem with this approach when working with dynamic
content instead of static exports; when you publish,  the caches get out
of sync, and you end up with old content on one server for a while. You
need to flush caches on your standby server whenever you publish. We did
this by giving clients a CGI that called the ant reload script on our
standby server, but this is obviously a bit drastic. If you do static
exports, you could have a cron job that called rsync periodically and
distributed your changes around your webapps.

I've just started playing with openCMS 6 and don't know if there's a way
we can trap the publish event yet on a remote server. (I've been sucked
into the new structured forms stuff- great work guys!)

HTH,

Tim

Message: 21