[opencms-dev] CmsLinkManager, OpenCms / WebLogic portal integration

Jason Trump jason.trump at brulant.com
Tue Aug 16 20:31:19 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I am working on integrating OpenCms 6.0 and WebLogic Portal 8.1.4.
Firstly, congratulations on a great product.  6.0 is my first experience
with the system, and the feature set is truly impressive.  I have also
found the sources very easy to read and the documentation quite good.

I found this (very old) message
(http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2003q3/007129.html)
wherein someone was trying to do the same thing, but nothing more after
spending some time in google, BEA dev2dev forums, and in the opencms-dev
mailing list archives.

Anyway, I've had great success getting basic access to OpenCms through
WebLogic's Virtual Content Repository.  There are a few things proving
difficult:

1. I would like to change the behavior of CmsLinkManager so that the
generated links render correctly in the portal.  Unfortunately, I do not
see a way to reconfigure the default implementation of CmsLinkManager
(or other core classes accessed via org.opencms.main.OpenCms).  It seems
that patching the CmsLinkManager source is the only way to proceed; can
anyone suggest a better way?  Are there long-term plans to make any of
the "OpenCms operating system" services runtime configurable?

2. I want to provide some integration between OpenCms and an external
image repository.  For example, it would be cool to have a gallery
widget for choosing these images in an XML document editor.  Can anyone
recommend another module that does this type of thing, or point me to a
place in the code to start reading?

I also noticed that the feature list for 6.0 indicates some kind of
EJB-based architecture, but I can't find evidence of this in the
sources.  I know that other people have asked this question to the list
before, but I can't find an answer in the archives.

Any answers or discussion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
jason

JASON C. TRUMP
Senior Consultant