[opencms-dev] Is OpenCms meant for...

Daniel Kraft wam at spotlite.de
Fri Aug 19 16:02:14 CEST 2005

I'm learning OpenCms for a few weeks now and I think I've got the point what
OpenCms is really meant for. But I'd appreciate if someone told me if I'm
totally wrong or not.

1. OpenCms' primary goal is to integrate modules which make it easy to create
"static" pages for non-programmers based on templates.

2. It is possible and wanted to write applications within OpenCms, by using
classes/libaries and JSP
2b. as long as all data is based on the VFS.

3. It is _not_ meant to extend the workplace easily, e.g. for an onlineshop or
for a news-management system (when VFS or XMLCONTENT is not flexible enough).

4. For applications which need special backends (=workplaces) it's better not
to use OpenCms' workplace.

5. "external" applications (=applications that are not embedded in OpenCms'
workplace) can/should use OpenCms' API to share ACL.

Did I understand something wrong?
Are there modules that extend the workplace (except for resource-definitions)?
I'd love to read the sources...

Daniel