[opencms-dev] A request to the OpenCms experts

Gonzalez, Arnau (GE Consumer Finance, consultant) arnau.gonzalez at ge.com
Tue Aug 23 10:59:25 CEST 2005

I'm having serious troubles in my templating work.
My intention is to define templates which basically define the look and feel of the page, and have some specific sections defined as editable, but not with the WYSIWYG editor but with more strict dialogs, like a title, an image and a text, or whatever.

By now I've defined a template in a jsp file which is in fact the old static HTML page where I've placed jsp tags in the places needed in order to make these sections editable. I've also defined schemas of XML content for the different kinds of paragraphs I want to use. But my problem starts here, I can't manage on crating pages which use the template and the different types of my XML content paragraphs. If I create the new page as an XML content file and I associate it with the template, it works. But the problem is that since I'm using the template from a specific XML content file, obiously I can't use then, in the same page, a diferent kind of paragraph defined in another schema.

I've thought in including all possible paragraphs in the same schema, but the problem now is that when you click one of the edition buttons of the page, you will get a dialog with all that content, not only the content of that paragraph. Maybe there is a way to show only some selected attributes of the schema? It would be a solution.

Another option could be to create a normal page, relate it with the template and (I don't know how) relate it also with more than one XML content file. But this have another problem, how does the jsp template know to which schema is making reference an attribute when there is a <cms:contentshow> tag?

I'm sure that there is a way to do this, maybe much easyer than I've imagined. Since I think is a kind of work which is very possible that more people need to do, and the documentation in the web and the examples don't explain clearly this situation, I would like to ask to the OpenCms experts the steps to follow in orther to make these templates a reallity.

I will really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Arnau