[opencms-dev] Minimum memory requirements?

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:30:48 CEST 2005

Out of curiosity I did that experiment. I rebooted a AMD64 PC running
Fedora Core 4 which has 1GB RAM with mem=128M boot parameter. This
simulated a computer with 128MB RAM. I installed Tomcat 5.5.9 and used
Sun Java 1.5.0_03 AMD64 version.

I set the computer to run at Run Level 3 (ie without X Window running
to cut down unnecessary memory use).

Started MySQL and Tomcat. So far so good. Copied opencms.war into the
webapps directory and started setting up OpenCms. It started off ok --
some moderate amounts of page faulting. I went a away for a while (40
min?). When I came back it was trashing (ie too much page faulting)
and there were time out errors in the install log.

So in conclusion, OpenCms + Tomcat + MySQL on Linux with only 128MB
will probably not do. I suspect 256MB will be ok for small sites, but
I don't have time to test that out.

BTW: for those not familiar with the term 'page fault': it's what
happens with the OS runs out of real RAM memory. It starts resorting
to hard disk space to supplement it the RAM, which is great as long as
it doesn't happen too often. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault

Joe.