[opencms-dev] more barriers to running in a cluster

Jason Trump jason.trump at brulant.com
Tue Sep 6 18:47:50 CEST 2005

Indeed, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I also didn't want to make the whole application a singleton (with an MBean or SessionBean façade for access across the cluster).  It seems like it would be more efficient to let every node have its own copy of the application, and then provide different implementations of those services that require distributed logic.

I think this is the list of services that need distributed logic if the system is to run correctly on a cluster:

UUID generation
Event dispatching
Search indexing
Resource locking

The flex cache would also be a candidate, but I think it's ok to let each node in the cluster manage its own cache, and then just use the distributed event service to clear the cache when necessary.

I think some support for connecting to the database through a named DataSource (rather than a JDBC URL) would be a good idea, as well.

-jason