[opencms-dev] opencms6 - postgresql8 and performance

Bouchard Sylvie Sylvie.Bouchard at cpln.ch
Wed Sep 14 08:57:40 CEST 2005

Good afternoon,
We have an application based on opencms6 / Tomcat5. The data management of the content is kept in a PostgreSQL 8.0.2 base.
The pages' display is very slow (it can take up to several minutes per refresh). Thus, it would not be applicable  in production.
Material configuration details of the server hosting PostgreSQL :
- Windows Server 2003
- Bi-processor Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz
- RAM 4 Go
- Disks on SAN - access through optical fibre

I have noticed that several sequential accesses happen on the tables of the cms during the questioning.
We added the same index as those in scripts of MySQL. The access method and times are better but still too slow

My questions :
What would be the best configuration parameters of the postgresql.conf file (or another file) to enhance the performances ?
What could we do on Opencms' side to improve the data interrogation?
Is the creation of the tables (index) through opencms optimum ?
Your advices are most welcome.
Sylvie