[opencms-dev] Adding Workflow functionality to OpenCMS ver 6.0

Tristan Tarrant tristan.tarrant at dataforte.net
Wed Sep 14 18:54:02 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 12:07 +0200, Rajiv Terwadkar wrote:
> Dear All,
> I would like to add workflow functionality in OpenCMS, I will
> appreciat your comments/ help / site references etc for this
> Thanks and Regards
> Rajiv

Personally I would like to see workflow functionality attached to
content items in the vfs: currently opencms' workflow is completely
separate and more of an internal messaging system.
Workflow should be based on project, group membership and template
(different types of objects may have different workflows). Using these
properties an initial state is set on the object (or maybe even multiple
objects, but this is more difficult). The explorer view should show the
current state and an entry in the vfs context menu should show a dialog
with a list of possible states which are available for the next step and
a list of possible target users for the chosen next state.
States may even imply opencms actions: e.g. when an object is forwarded
to a specific state it may be automatically published.
For the workflow engine I'd use the excellent OSWorkflow which also
allows adding beanshell scripts within actions.

This is my 2¢. Opinions are welcome.

Tristan