[opencms-dev] OpenCms in the future?

Tristan Tarrant tristan.tarrant at dataforte.net
Thu Sep 15 10:56:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 10:42 +0200, Andreas Haumer wrote:
> That being said, I'd like to bring up again a subject I have
> already mentioned on the list several times, but without any
> reply so far: Caching at the DB access layer! As I tried to
> explain I think that it might help to improve the performance
> of OpenCMS quite noticable and reduce the load on the RDBMS at
> the same time. DB access cache is an important and widely used
> technique for DB applications in general and especially for web
> applications. If done right, the advantages usually are considerable!

Here is how I would work on opencms' db layer:

- Implement a Hibernate CmsDbDriver. This would bring many enhancements
to OpenCMS: more database portability, usage of container-provided
datasource, automatic caching (Hibernate can use many libraries for
caching: ehcache, oscache, etc), no need to maintain several drivers for
each database provider
- At the setup level implement a hibernate page which automatically
scans the jndi tree for available DataSources, probing the underlying
database type (the db dialect in hibernate-speak).

Obviously I need a few rainy days to work on this :)

Tristan