[opencms-dev] Administration access restrictions

Michael Moossen m.moossen at alkacon.com
Mon Oct 17 11:51:27 CEST 2005

Hi, Pere!

> I have been investigating the possibility of allowing access to only some
> OpenCms Administration functions. More specifically; I need to have users
> that can only access the Web Users management, and no other administration
> options.
it can be done.

> The standard folder/file permissions mechanism does not seem to apply to
> administration options, and the
> org.opencms.workplace.administration.CmsAdminDialog class that is invoked
> for Web Users administration is not documented in the OpenCms v.6 javadoc
> (by the way, I didn't find it in the CVS either), and its decompiling didn't
> help me at all.
there is there. in the cvs under
src-modules/org.opencms.workplace.administration/src. but anyway it is not the
right point to look at.

> Just to avoid wasting more time, can someone tell me if this is possible at
> all without deep OpenCms code changes?
sure. any admin-tool has a property called admintoolhandler-class, this class
specifies also wenn the tool should be enabled and visible.

just take the already used admintoolhandler-class:
org.opencms.workplace.tools.accounts.CmsAccountsToolHandler
and extend it overriding just the isEnabled(CmsObject) and/or the
isVisible(CmsObject), ther you can check the current user or project or
whatever.
then put your compiled class somewhere your servlet container can find it, like
the WEB-INF/classes folder, change the admintoolhandler-class property for
every webuser-* tool to your class name and restart opencms.

HTH
--
Regards
Michael Moossen

Alkacon Software GmbH - The OpenCms Experts
http://www.alkacon.com