[opencms-dev] Modules development: how to getting started?

Christof Dallermassl ce-christof.dallermassl at bearingpoint.com
Fri Oct 28 09:18:23 CEST 2005

Hi!

> I'm wondering how to build modules from the source - as done with
> org.opencms.welcome or org.opencms.frontend.templateone - and __an
> easy way to update the modules without to re-deploy the whole OpenCms
> system__. I also noticed the tomcat.update ant task, but I can't
> figure out how to use it properly too.

I am developing a small module for opencms and had the same problems.

I used a modified version of the build-single.xml file - I just added the
missing variables and did some other minor changes. The rest stayed
untouched: the directory structure, etc. But my code (resources, java files,
etc.) are kept separate from the opencms source (this was important for me,
easier sync with cvs, etc.)

This allows to build the zip file for the module. this zip file is then
imported in the module manager of opencms. If I just change the java classes,
I just copy the jar file to the opencms/WEB-INF/lib directory. Opencms needs
to be restarted (but not redeployed) then. Most of the times, the module
update works quite well, sometimes opencms needs a restart.

If you want, I can mail my build.xml file.

regards
Christof