[opencms-dev] why is the directory tree greyed?

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 15 18:00:32 CET 2005

There are a couple of things about the OpenCMS' user interface
confusing me:

1) Why are the directory tree elements greyed out?  E.g., when I'm in
   explorer mode on a newly created project.
   It indicates me that they are in a state which is not appropriate
   in the current mode and that I might be doing something wrong when
   making changes in this "greyed" mode. Normally, greyed objects
   are expressing some mode (like inactive or inaccessible).
   Is this done my the makers of OpenCMS intentionally?
   (I found out by experimenting, that "copying into project
   changes the 'grey state' to solid black. On the other hand
   I thought that the import had already done this. Why do I have to explicitly
   "copy to project"?). Questions over questions.

2) What is /sites/defaults in contrary to / for example?

   I created a new project in Administrator-mode and then used the
   database-import wizard to import a zip file.

   After that I had that greyed state under 1).

3) In the migration (5->6) docs  it is advised to export / of a project
   including the /system tree.
   Just curious: I hope that OpenCMS 6.0 knows that these are from
   5.0 and does not overwrite anything.

4) What do multiple imports with the same or overlapping .zip files
   do ? (e.g. when parts of the tree are imported multiply and overlapping)
   Do they overwrite themselves? Or are there stil multiple instances in the
   database?

Sigh. Although I'm beginning to develop a love-hate to OpenCMS, I must say,
the user interface is really everything but intuitive.