[opencms-dev] OpenCms does not work on SUSE Linux with MySQL

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:37:36 CET 2005

OpenCms cannot connect to your database. Are you sure it's running?
Verify that you can connect to your database by entering the following
from the command line:

mysql

If you get something like this error:
"ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"
it probably means mysql is not running. Log in as root and enter the following:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

If mysql is running and you still have problems connecting, it's
likely to be an username/password problem with the database. By
default MySQL has a null root password if connecting from localhost.
Try using username 'root' and a black password.

(Note: do not use the root user for a production system).

Joe.