[opencms-dev] OpenCms does not work on SUSE Linux with MySQL

Michael Powell mwpowell at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 22 13:44:57 CET 2005

Neil,

I had the same problem yesterday and resolved it by disabling SElinux. (I am running Fedora Core 4).

Assuming that your mysql, and tomcat processes have started check for other things that could be interfering with the connection between the two. In FC4, SElinux acts as protection for MySQL and prohibits the connections to the mysqld (even for localhost).

You must change SElinux configuration options to allow connections to the mysqld
. I temporarily disabled my SElinux by making changes to the 'config' file in
the /etc/selinux directory.

I changed following line:
SELINUX = enforcing
to read....
SELINUX = disabled

So my config file is as follows:

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Please note that this disables SElinux and you will need to change specific
mysql settings for SElinux when you change it back to 'enforcing' mode. But at
least this is a temporary fix for the install of OpenCMS.

The settings may be different on SUSE linux.

Mike