[opencms-dev] Module Action class updateModule method

Mariano Barcia opencms at colaborativa.net
Thu Nov 24 01:37:25 CET 2005

Hi Achim W., Achim A.,

Our company is having a hard time due to the need to restart the context
every time a module is installed or re installed. Moreover, sometimes tomcat
does not seem to copy the JARs needed to the WEB-INF/lib folder.

Does a "module class loader" for opencms makes sense?

Proposal:

- Build a module class loader that adds functionality to the current opencms
modules core.

- The module class loader, upon INSTALL, should look into the WEB-INF/lib of
the newly installed module for JARs, and load and register the classes
inside those JARs

- The module class loader, upon UNINSTALL, should unload the classes
registered with the module

- This module class loader should be transparent to the module developers.

If it worked on Tomcat only, I think it would be a big hit.

I look forward to your comments, TIA
--mariano