[opencms-dev] Remote Data Sources

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 02:29:28 CET 2005

I do something similar. A few OpenCms pages need access to data in a
separate application.
I've written a servlet/JSP in the other application that responds to
GET requests issued by OpenCms (I use the Apache httpclient library to
issue the requests). Parameters are added in the usual GET format  (eg
query?param1=value1&param2=value2 etc)

The servlet responds with data (sometimes comma separated value lines,
sometimes XML).

For security the web service responding to OpenCms can be set so to
only respond to the OpenCms computer.

I've worked with SOAP a little before. I found it way too complex for
what I was doing. If CSV or a simple home grown XML schema works then
use that. SOAP makes sense if you have a complex API or you need to
publish that API to the outside world.  If you control both ends of
the communications link then SOAP is most often an overkill IMHO.

Joe.