[opencms-dev] Indexing files outside the VFS

cannot say pikica3342 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 12:52:12 CET 2006

Hi.
      I have a large library of documents (in the order of  many gigabytes) that I am trying to make searchable using the OpenCms  full-text search. I understand that in order to index a file you must  upload it into the VFS under a path that is listed as source in the  search configuration file. Uploading (and waiting for the applet to zip  files before upload) is a bit impractical, mainly because it's time  consuming, this is the small problem though.
      The bigger problem is that I would have to upload  every document i want searchable and thus have duplicates of each  document (one in the VFS and one in the real FS) and this would take  too much disk space. So my question is, "Is there a way to index  documents on the real file-system with OpenCms?" Or does anyone have a  way of making a web accessable search of a document library.
      Further more, the library of documents is ever changing, constantly  some things are added and some removed. I so far understand that you must  remake the whole index when you change the contents of its' sources.  This is impractical as remaking the index of a document library of this  size takes a long time, is there a way, and if so how would i make the new documents i add  searchable without remaking the whole index in the lengthy process ?

  Help is much appreciated :)