[opencms-dev] XML data modelling for one-to-many aggregation

Matthew Fremont m_fremont at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 20:51:37 CET 2006

I'm new to XML and OpenCms, so I'm looking for some
guidance on effective data modeling strategies.

For the data I'm working with I would use a
one-to-many aggregation relationship in a normalized
relational model.

On the website I want to present a list page that
would display information from the parent entity and a
list that summarizes the children with links to a page
for each child. The detail page for each child would
repeat some information from the parent along with the
details unique to the child entity.

In a situation like this with OpenCms structured
content what are the advantages/disadvantages of
modeling this using a sequence of a nested complex
type vs. completely separating the parent and child
entities with no relationship expressed in the XSD?

Is there some other method to model this date other
than the two I've suggested?

If I were to use the nested model,

1. Is a URI parameter the best way to pass the
selection criteria for the child?

2. Can anyone provide an example (in the docs or
otherwise) of code that would select the appropriate
child for display in the detail JSP?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew