[opencms-dev] extending templateone

Paul Pogonyshev p.pogonyshev at finamatics.com
Fri Feb 10 11:39:43 CET 2006

On 10 February 2006 03:58, Christian Steinert wrote:
> [...]
> > How would you recommend to do this?  Create a separate package
> > and copy everything (under GPL conditions) and then modify the
> > necessary parts?  Or maybe even extends some Templateone
> > classes in a separate package and override only some functions?
> >

> Hi,
>
> [...]
> So
> if you care about any future improvements of the original template and
> if you don't want to deviate too much, then probably subclassing the
> existing code makes more sense.
>
> Only otherwise I would copy everything over into a different package.

Thanks for the reply, but it's a little bit too late, partly because
of the mailing list downtime ;)  In any case, I started with subclassing
some of the Java files.  The client wants a pretty much more complicated
layout, so I have to rewrite many of JSPs and some Java functions (those
that generate parts of the HTML.)

I currently work in the Template one module (though not modifying
existing files, just creating new ones.)  If the client gets all serious
about this, I will probably create a separate module.

Paul

P.S.  And god, how tired I am of restarting Tomcat after every Java
      modification...  I really wish it could pick up modified JARs
      based on modification time or something...