[opencms-dev] Bug? OpenCms should send redirect for folder requests missing trailing slash

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Mon Feb 13 09:17:02 CET 2006

When a browser requests http:// <http://<server>/foldername>
<server>/foldername without a trailing slash, the usual behaviour for web
servers is to send a redirect to the 'real' address, http://
<http://<server>/foldername/> <server>/foldername/.  The usual reason given
for this is so that relative links in the resulting content may be served
correctly - otherwise, the browser would attempt to get e.g. an image
referred to as "../images/bla.jpg" as http://
<http://<server>/foldername../images/bla.jpg>
<server>/foldername../images/bla.jpg.

As far as I can see, OpenCms (6.0.4) doesn't send redirects like this.  Of
course, it doesn't seem to matter if all page links are at least
URI-absolute (e.g. "/images/bla.jpg"), but (i) that may not always be the
case, and (ii) there may be other implications which I can't think of.

This feels like a bug - what do you think?

Jon