[opencms-dev] Static export problems

Corsin Camichel cocaman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:04:16 CET 2006

Hi Christian

Thank you for your response.
The "publishing all" is no option for me, we have to export more than 5'000
files every time.
Another solution I see, is to create an OpenCms Cronjob/Scheduled Job with
the "org.opencms.scheduler.jobs.CmsStaticExportJob" class.
If that is not satisfying, I have to deactivate the static export and keep
everything in the database.

Thank you again

Regards
-- Corsin

On 2/27/06, Christian Steinert <christian_steinert at web.de> wrote:

> > Thank you Hari for your setting
> >
> > I have set mine up the same, but the problem is now, that it exports ALL
> my files each time somebody publishes something.
> > Do you (or anybody else in this list) know how to avoid this? This takes
> a long time and needs some resources.
> >
> > Hope that you can help me.
>
> Dear Corsin
>
> well... It's not a bug, it's a feature....
>
> As far as I have understood it, you can roughly control which resources
> are exported by using the <resourcesToRender> directives in the export
> configuration.
> But as there is no mechanism for detecting, which pages will be affected
> by a certain content change, so OpenCms will export everything that should
> be rendered for your resource set.
>
> The old strategy, from Version 5, where only changed resources where
> exported, doesn't exist anymore, it seems.
> There are only two publish strategies in version 6:
> - publish everything
> or
> - publish each individual page upon "file not found". Then you need a
> chronjob or something to remove the rendered files from time to time, so
> that changes from the database will eventually get through to the audience.
> I really find this a bit - well - uncommon to work like that, but anyway,
> that's the way it currently is.
>

> To do it more effectively, would be possible by writing an own exporter.
> The best approach for this, I think would be if each template calls a method
> "addDependentResource", or something similar, for each resource that depends
> UPON the current resource.
> Then the system would precisely know, which resources to re-publish for
> each changed resource, because the templates of each resource could provide
> this information.
>
> But I sadly don't have the time to implement it.
>
> -------------
> If I ever use static export, I think I just try to sychronize two
> "independent" cms instances.
> - One instance exports all changed resources upon export.
> - The other instance imports anything that comes into a configured
> directory, checking repeatedly by using a chronjob and then publishes all
> the stuff.
> Like that, no user would have to wait for the whole publishing process to
> finish.
>
> But currently its only an idea. I don't know if I ever manage to implement
> that at some point.
>
> Regards
> Christian

Corsin Camichel