[opencms-dev] interaction between tomcat server.xml, opencms-system.xml, and workplace

Matthew Fremont matthew at cyclepaths.com
Thu Mar 30 01:44:41 CEST 2006

Can anyone point me toward some documentation that explains the
interaction between Tomcat's server.xml, the site declarations in
opencms-system.xml and the workplace online vs. offline projects.

When I have an active workplace session, I can preview files from my
offline project without any problems and browse the links in the preview
window, but I'm having trouble previewing pages in the online project
from the workplace as well as browsing the site directly from the Tomcat
server (i.e. no workplace session).

I'm particularly confused when and why:

1) the workplace uses or omits the /opencms/opencms prefix in the URI
when previewing files in the VFS

2) what configuration elements affect whether "/site/mysite" is
necessary to request an page from Tomcat with no workplace session

These elements also appear to have an impact on static export, which is
succeeding with some of my template resources and failing with 404
errors on others.

Thanks for your help,

Matthew