[opencms-dev] The Manual

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 02:28:02 CEST 2006

I'm wondering what is a practical way to have the OpenCms manual in
HTML format and a more traditional style manual (eg PDF) using the
same source material.

The current manual has a few advantages (you can quickly dip into what
you need) and a few big dis-advantages: the biggest is that it
discourages printing and reading offline.

Just now (I think) I discovered the cause intermittent problem I've
had for some time. The reason the problem remained undiagnosed for so
long --  I dipped into what I needed without bothering to understand
the big picture. My fault.

*BUT* if I had a traditional paper manual I would have taken it to bed
with a highlighter pen and most likely would have fixed it a long time
ago.

I think a PDF manual will reduce FAQs on this list.  However I'm not
sure what's the best way of achieving this technically: obviously you
want just one source which can then be rendered as HTML or as a PDF
document.

Joe.