[opencms-dev] installing under debian

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 12 17:29:13 CEST 2006

I'm installing OpenCms 6.2.0 under Debian Linux currently and got
through the apache2 tomcat5 stuff so far but starting the setup
ended in an error coming up saying that I probably haven't installed the
jdbc connector yet.
Creating Database Connection
	   	It was not possible to create a database connection with the given parameters.
Please check the Exception below. There can be two reasons for this error:

    * Your database is down, or
    * Your database is not accessible with the given connection parameters.

Be also aware that Alkacon recommends to use the following JDBC drivers for MySQL 4.1.x & 5.0.x:
[mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar]

Check that the Jdbc drivers are included in your class path.

Error connecting to database using: "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/".
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost.localdomain' (Using password: YES) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2928) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:771) at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.doHandshake(MysqlIO.java:1229) at

I got mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar from the web
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/mysql/Downloads/Connector-J/mysql-connector-java-3.1.12.zip
and the jar file is in that package. Maybe it's more officially available elsewhere.

I put that file in /usr/lib/java/jre/lib to no avail. (I restarted mysql)

Any clues?