[opencms-dev] simple newbie questions about installation

Robert Petermeier robert2.0 at gmx.de
Thu Apr 20 13:39:06 CEST 2006

laws schrieb:
> Hi robert
> no, I have no money to hire a^nybody, lol. I  am a student, and I just
> like to make the thing run. I know its very complex.

Then, by all means, forget OpenCms. I don't see why a beginner should
bother with it, for several reasons:
- OpenCms itself as a web application is way too complex for a beginner.
- OpenCms *applications* are way too JSP centric. This is not what
modern web development looks like. Consequently, all OpenCms
applications  I have seen so far are badly coded. Lots of logic in
scriptlets mixed with HTML, XML, Javascript and even SQL, all in
peaceful coexistence within a single JSP. JSPs with several methods that
are actually servlets, yet also contain HTML, nested again with HTML
output created by countless calls to StringBuffer#append() in
scriptlets. HTML output that is hard-coded into methods of JavaBeans. I
could go on...

Instead, look into one of the various frameworks out there. Struts,
Spring and Java Server Faces come to mind, but there are several others.
If you are not bound to use Java, consider Ruby on Rails and ASP.NET.
You might also just read the concepts of some of these frameworks,
especially how they apply MVC to web applications. Then go on and
develop a small application, using a framework or pure Servlets and JSPs.

Regards,
Robert