[opencms-dev] pulling hairs for an hour because apache wouldn't start

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Apr 20 14:58:01 CEST 2006

Though a bit off-topic but feel this gotta be shared:

I had a havoc past hour to find out why my apache2 won't start on my notebook.
I ran opencms from tomcat port 8080 before and wanted to enable the
apache2/tomcat connection again (with proxy rewrite and all that).
Under windows it is quite nasty to find out why apache won't start when
the service already doesn't come up. The last message was
'cannot open logs'. The one before was 'couldn't bind address' or something.
So I looked with netstat -an whether someone was listening on port 80.
And indeed there was something on 0.0.0.0:80.

I remembered that www.sysinternals.com had quite nice tools for windows
and found tcpview in their networking section.

Fired it up and guess what process was listening on port 80?

S k y p e !!!!

holy mackarel.

And that after pulling hairs on my httpd.conf for most of the past hour.