[opencms-dev] Installation of OpenCMS-6.2.1 on PostgreSQL 8.1.3

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Fri May 5 14:21:03 CEST 2006

Hi!

Ivan Codarin schrieb:
> Hi,
> you are using a system-configuration similar to mine.
> You can also specify "template1" but you should be sure to be the only
> user/sesison connected to the dbms.

How do you do that if it's the OpenCMS setup program _itself_
using the "template1" database?

> For example you have to shutdown your dbManager software (a.k.a.
> pgadmin3) before starting the setup process.

Even when there is no other application accessing the PostgreSQL
database (and so "template1" definitely is not used by any other
application), you'll get the "template1 is in use" error when you
execute the OpenCMS setup program with "template1" specified as
"Template Db"!

It's the OpenCMS setup program _itself_ which opens the database
specified as "Template Db" in step 4a (validating the DB).
The database remains open after that step (in the servlet containers
database pool) and so the OpenCMS setup program locks itself out!
(please see my mail from March 7th, I have already described this
scenario in greater detail there)

> In postgresql 8.1.3 you can use the "postgres" database as templatedb.
> This database does not exists on the previous versions of postgresql
> (7.4.x); in that case you could use "template1".

You can not use "template1" as "Template Db" with every OpenCMS
version which does the additional "database validation" step!
This does not depend on the version of the PostgreSQL database!

> I'm using 6.2.0 on postgresql and when I developed the db-driver all the
> unit tests were running well.

Did your tests also pass the setup program with "template1"
specified as "Template Db"? I would be really surprised if
they did!

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71