[opencms-dev] AW: Tomcat memory leaks on webapp restarts

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Fri May 26 12:37:24 CEST 2006

Could be something like that - I've noticed some "OutOfMemoryError:
PermGen space" exceptions after repreated instance restarts. It seems
that running out of PermGen space is often due to classes not being
GC'ed upon instance restart.
Of course a restart of tomcat will fix it, but this may not be feasible
if one is running other apps/instances in the same tomcat.

Jonathan Woods wrote:
> I recall a recent thread in which someone pointed out that Tomcat
> gradually took up more and more memory on each each restart of a webapp
> running within it.
>
> I wonder if the fault lies in using Jakarta Commons Logging
> (JCL) libraries prior to v1.1?  See
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/guide.html#Classloader_and_Memory_Management for
> a discussion in which it's made clear that for versions prior to 1.1,
> classes which call LogFactory.getLog(...) must also call
> LogFactory.release(), or risk having references to loaded classes held
> on to by the logging framework.
>
> Offhand, I don't know which version of JCL is distributed with 6.0.4 and
> 6.2.1, but if you're suffering from Tomcat memory leaks you could do
> worse than try upgrading to JCL 1.1.
>
> Jon

Claus Priisholm, CodeDroids ApS
Phone: +45 48 22 46 46