[opencms-dev] how-to configure a rotation log for opencms 5.0.1

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Jun 3 00:13:03 CEST 2006

miguel schrieb:
> Dear All,
>   I manage a site with opencms 5.0.1/Tomcat 4.1/Oracle 8.1.7, and I
> have a problem with the log file opencms.log, this file grow too much
> and it's impossible to manage. Anybody know how-to configure a
> rotation process for this file?
> Have Opencms any way to do?, or I need a external tool...
>
> Thanks

If I remember correctly then the opencms.properties file (in the real
filesystem under  <opencms web application>/WEB-INF/config/) contains
some log configuration. There you can also set the maximum log size if I
remember correctly.
I *THINK* that the log would then be rotated after reaching the maximum
sizebut I'm not sure and I don't have opencms5 here anymore to take a
look into the property-file.

Using an external tool might lead to problems. If you try to "steal" the
log file from opencms then it might have trouble with continued logging
until the next shutdown. But it's worth a try, if the configuration
itself doesn't help. A simple shell script which you can put into your
crontab (if it's a linux/unix machine) should help with renaming the files.

c.