[opencms-dev] Modules vs WEB-INF/lib/

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Mon Jun 19 16:10:32 CEST 2006

Modules generally also provide configuration information about themselves in
<opencms home>/WEB-INF/config/opencms-modules.xml.  This information can
include the definition of module metadata (e.g. author, title) and (more
interestingly) new resource types.  Modules also generally contain JSPs to
provide module-specific views; and they may also provide XSD schemas for
their own resource types.

When you're developing a module, it's quite possible to put module stuff
into the VFS by hand; and provided that you have the right entries in
opencms-modules.xml, it will be exactly as if you managed the module via the
Workplace.  Either way, you soon want to get to a position in which
uploading/refreshing your module is as automated as possible, unless you are
a very much better coder than I am!  The DevShell class I posted is one way
of achieving this, and it could certainly be improved upon.

Jon