[opencms-dev] OpenCms 6.2.1 installation problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4

Gaith Bader gaithb at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jun 22 05:30:05 CEST 2006

Hello everybody,

due to work requirements I was asked to move development of our
OpenCms to a PostgreSQL database instead of the usual mySQL

I decided to do a clean install of Tomcat,  PostgreSQL and OpenCms,
when I go through the setup wizard of the OpenCms, I chose
ProstgreSQL as the database, chose postgres database for
installation, everything goes just fine, it starts installing and
importing modules, then around 5 minutes into the setup it finishes
the installation telling me the Status is ok (with the green tick)
however, looking at the output this is what shows up just before it
finishes:

-----------------------------
2656:
2655:	Shutdown completed, total uptime was 00:06:13.
2654:	Shutting down OpenCms, version 6.2.1 in web application "opencms"
2653:
2652:
2651:	The OpenCms system used for the setup will now shut down.
2650:	The setup is finished!
2649:
2648:
2647:	Admin at Offline>exit
2646:	Admin at Offline>
2645:	java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
2644:	( 42 / 56 ) Importing /demopages/search-demo/example-documents/
Alkacon_OpenCms_6_Business.pdf ... Exception while calling method
"importModulesFromSetupBean".
------------------------------

As you can see on line 2645 it says (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap space) it is giving an out of memory error. checking around, it
seems that this is supposed to be a  mySQL limitation, where you
should make the max_allowed_packet larger around 16MB, but usually
that error happen when trying to import a large module or files into
opencms after installation, also I could not find any reference to it
in connection with PostgreSQL!

Even though, in the setup output it says the setup is finished and
all is fine, when you do try to go to opencms/index.jsp it is not
found, and a lot of the pages naturally are not found either, since
the setup cut off before it installed them all.

Has anybody encountered this problem? any suggestions, to how to go
around it and fix it?

I appreciate any help you can give,

Relevant environment setup:
OSX 10.4.6 (powePC)
Tomcat 5.5.17
PostgreSQL 8.1.4
OpenCms 6.2.1
Physical memory : 1GB

Cheers,
Gaith
Gaith Bader
Computer Systems Officer
School of Computer Science and Engineering
The University of New South Wales