[opencms-dev] how to handle webuser login?

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Jul 5 19:52:13 CEST 2006

Generally, you should be able to do use webusers and the opencms user management to handle this

- You create your users as webusers in opencms (by hand in the opencms workplace or by Using opencms APIs)
- You log them in via the opencms-user management API
- after that opencms knows that they are logged (which is based on session+cookies) and that can be checked again via the usermanagement APIs of opencms (as soon as a user is logged in, every request from that user gets automatically associated with that user because he will transmit a session id and that session Id is used by opencms to associate the request with an earlier login. For users that are not logged, requests are associated with the guest user instead)

Hope that helps somehow, but I have not used the usermanagement API so to me this is all theory of how it *should* work.

Good starting points for looking at the APIs should be the the javadocs of classes CmsJspActionElement, CmsObject and CmsRequestContext

regards
christian