[opencms-dev] Multilingual sites - Browser's AcceptedLanguages

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Jul 19 11:27:42 CEST 2006

Sebastian Himberger schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> maybe we should extend the OpenCms properties with an "isMultilanguage"
> ,"isTranslateale" or "isLocaleAware flag and also change the property
> dialog to respect this flag? Would this be an Option? I would be willing
> to help implementing this.
>
> best regards
> Sebastian

Dear Sebastian,

Generally the thing that makes me nervous are the navigation-related
properties (Title / NavText). Of course one could store these in a
structured way, by using xmlcontent instead of xmlpage. But parsing an
xml page is much more expensive than just reading the property column of
a database record...

Also, XMLcontent alone is not always a solution. What, if you have two
siblings with different navtexts in one locale? I have this problem...
Then you cannot store the navtext as structured content, because each
sibling needs its own navtext (and Navpos)..

So, I don't know...
Storing properties separately for each locale would probably require a
change of the DB Schema and the APIs on top.

Additional properties like isMultilanguage would then probably be needed
as well. Such property might have to be a resource-relatedproperty (that
means: shared among all siblings)...

Your suggestion sounds interesting - although I'm not totally clear
about how you think it would work.

Christian