[opencms-dev] After modifying opencms for ROOT and multisite, online project for second site does not show up!

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Jul 19 11:42:57 CEST 2006

Gaith Bader schrieb:
> Hello everybody,
>
> There is something that that has been driving me crazy and I hope that
> someone can spot what I might be missing here!
>
> Since I did the multisite and installing opencms in ROOT  with mod_proxy
> and using apache2 I have not been able to see the online project, I can
> only see the offline project and the normal opencms workplace, I did
> searches on the net, googled until google told me to go away! read and
> re-read the setup and settings I have, but it still does not work, I
> can't seem to be able to spot the problem.

If you use proxying then your servlet container will not see, which host
name was used for the request! all requests will come in through 127.0.0.1 !

So, if you use a proxy configuration like this:

        ProxyPass         /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/
        ProxyPassReverse  /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/

I would expect that you need to use a site config like THAT:
   <site server="127.0.0.1:8081" uri="/sites/default/"/>
   <site server="127.0.0.1:8082" uri="/sites/default/"/>

You seem to have more than one site. If you have a multi-site
environment and if you at the same time hide your servlet container
behind apache (which is a good idea) then you need one *individual*
connector for *each* site. Only like this opencms will still be able to
distinguish, which request should be assigned to which online site, by
assigning each connector port to a different site.

I'm not so much into proxy config, but generally speaking you would have
to proxy your second site against port :8082 so that your 2nd site can
work as well.

(In offline mode [or: more exactly with a user that is logged in - be it
online or offline] it works only, because the session of a logged-in
user is *stronger* in determining the website that is currently used)

no guarantee that this is right, but I think the way your opencms site
config is now, it cannot work.

hth
christian