[opencms-dev] migrate from php nuke

Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Wed Jul 26 22:23:20 CEST 2006

Lukas,

You need 6 days!

Is it possible to write a static export script for php nuke, so that you can
export all of your records from MySQL to the File system?

If yes:

Then you should be able to import them via the extended HTML Import tool of
OpenCms to the OpenCms VFS (Virtual File System). In the best case, you
would get OpenCms xml free pages and you can't manage your content with
XMLContent types.

One of the best ways to get your XMLContent from your 6000 records, the
following Vision could be hard to achieve, but Visions are unbounded :-)

Let's try:

0. You shall prove how many templates your site has and if they are somehow
structured and could be defined as xml content?

If yes:

1. For each template type of your existing pages, you should write and
construct your content schema (OpenCms XMLContent Schema)

2. you could export / transform your content according to your schema
definition (xsd) as valid OpenCms XMLContent structure to the file system,
using relative links for images and other referenced resources, if you know
your db structure very well and all of your resources, e.g images are stored
in the database. This is the hardest task.

3. Synchronies the exported content to OpenCms VFS, with the great
synchronization tool.

4. Write your OpenCms content templates (view jsp's) to provide e.g. XHTML
pages for your new improved site.

5. You are done!

As mentioned it is a vision and I think it should become a very hard
challenge to achieve that.

The next vision:

What about doing it manually? I would need 60 days, and could become mad
after that :-)

Suppose, you have 10 volunteers, who are willing to copy and paste the
content to the vfs and upload images and documents to opencms and each of
them should need 5 minutes for each page, it means if each record is one
page, every volunteer should be able to provide 96 pages every day, lets say
100 pages, so you need only 6 days, if you have the right XMLContent
templates :-)

For each template you would need approx. 1-2 days, depending on how complex
they are and how fast the high skilled OpenCms Developer is.

Visions are unbounded and OpenCms possibilities too!

The Germans say:

If you have Visions, go to the Doctor ;-)

Kind Regards,
Arash

--
http://www.pomegranate.de