[opencms-dev] trouble navigating the online site

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Fri Jul 28 12:46:33 CEST 2006

Fernando Michel Barros Martinet schrieb:

> I'm new to opencms and tomcat and I'm having some problems to browse the
> online site once I publish it
> I don't know if it's a problem with opencms or tomcat, this is what
> happens:
>
> if I am logged in opencms workplace and I try to access for example
> http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html
> <http://localhost:8080/opencms/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html> I can do it
> without any problem
>
> but if I log off and I do the same I get this error from opencms:
>

>       A system error reading a resource occured!
>

>       Server error 404
>

>       Not Found
>
> The requested resource
> "/opencms/opencms/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html" was not found on the
> server.
>
> Probably you used an outdated link or an old bookmark.
>
> If you followed a link on our site, please try it again in a few minutes.
>

> any idea of what may be causing this?

this is a bit hard to understand at first - you have to understand, how
site roots work:

If you are logged in, then you can choose, which site root is currently
active. Then, if you request a page, the System will look for that page
starting from the site root that you have selected in the dropdown box
of the opencms workplace.

So, if you have selected "/" as current site root, and request
	/opencms/opencms/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html

then opencms will try to read the file
	/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html

from the virtual filesystem.
_______

But - if you are NOT logged in, then opencms will always start from the
default site root for the site that was requested (there may be more
than one site, each with a different site root, but a clean install of
opencms is pre-configured to run just one site at the site root
/sites/default)

So, if you use the default configuration, then any request will start
looking for your page under /sites/default/ because there opencms
expects the website to be. Then, if you request
	/opencms/opencms/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html
the system will look for a page called
	/sites/default/sites/cinterfor/prueba_cfor.html
and such a page will not exist.

Site roots are configured in opencms-importexport.xml if I'm not
mistaken. The alkacon documentation contains instructions on multisite
configuration. Check them out and search the archives for the word
"multisite".

I hope this got a bit clearer now. If you think about it, it makes sense
to isolate different websites from each other and give an own root
folder to each individual website. But it can be difficult to understand
 at first and sometimes also a bit inconvenient.

Regards
Christian