[opencms-dev] OpenCMS won't run on Weblogic - workaround found

Svjatoslav Agejenko n0 at hot.ee
Mon Jul 31 06:35:36 CEST 2006

I think I found a bug in OpenCMS 6.2.2 preventing it from running on Bea
Weblogic 9.2.

For some reason weblogic destroys entire servlet context when
ServletExsception is thrown
of OpenCMS initialization. For quick workaround I simply commented out
one line and OpenCMS
setup wizard become available.

Comment out in OpenCmsServlet.java

    // throw new ServletException(e.getMessage());

Now weblogic shows application status as "Active".
Hope anybody will fix it in CVS or  find better explanation/solution.

Thank you ! :)

> I deployed manually exploded OpenCMS 6.2.2 WAR file on the latest Bea
> Weblogic 9.2.
> But I am unable to even access OpenCMS setup wizard. Weblogic
> initializes and then
> destroys OpenCMS context shortly afterwards.

> Weblogic administration console says:

>    Message icon - Error    javax.servlet.ServletException: Critical error
> during OpenCms initialization: The OpenCms setup wizard is still enabled.

>    Message icon - Warning  Errors were encountered while performing this
> operation.

> While terminal console gives following stack trace:
> org.opencms.main.CmsInitException: Critical error during OpenCms
> initialization: The OpenCms setup wizard is still enabled.
>         at org.opencms.main.OpenCmsCore.initContext(OpenCmsCore.java:1061)
>         at
> org.opencms.main.OpenCmsCore.upgradeRunlevel(OpenCmsCore.java:1527)
>         at org.opencms.main.OpenCmsServlet.init(OpenCmsServlet.java:235)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper$ServletInitAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:276)
>         at

weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
>         at
> weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:121)

> Line numbers might be incorrect by +-5 lines... inserted some debug
> statements in the code already..
> The same WAR works well on Tomcat.

> Using debugging statements traced following functions in presented order
> have been executed on  Weblogic
> immediately after deployment.

> OpenCmsListener.contextInitialized(...)
> OpenCmsServlet.init(...)
>    catched CmsInitException
>    new ServletException(...) is thrown
> OpenCmsListener.contextDestroyed(...)

> Identical WAR on Tomcat:

> OpenCmsListener.contextInitialized(...)
> OpenCmsServlet.init(...)
>     catched CmsInitException
>     new ServletException(...) is thrown

> It looks Weblogic destroyed whole servlet context
> (OpenCmsListener.contextInitialized(...) function is called only once per
> deployment attempt.)

> Whole application is show as having failed status on Weblogic admin
console.

> > What is the URL of your opencms servlet context?
> >
> URL of the servlet context is "http://localhost:7001/opencms/"

> Defined in web.xml:
>     <context-param>
>         <param-name>OpenCmsServlet</param-name>
>         <param-value>/opencms/*</param-value>
>     </context-param>

> > Which URL do you use to access the setup wizard?

> I have tried: http://localhost:7001/opencms/setup/

> > What message do you get, if you try to access the setup wizard?

    Error 404--Not Found