[opencms-dev] Permissions howto

cfn at kb.dk cfn at kb.dk
Mon Aug 7 14:00:49 CEST 2006

opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org wrote on 04-08-2006 16:00:26:

> For example how do I do the following:
>
> UserA must be able to edit only /FolderA/... but read everything else
> on the site.
> UserB must be able to edit only /FolderB/... etc...

1. you probably want to control access based on groups rather than
individual users,
so create groups GroupA and GroupB based on Users.

2. Set the permissions for the group Users on FolderA and FolderB to read
and view but
NOT write and tell it to override inherited and inherit on subfolders. Now
both groups
(and all others derived from Users can read everything but not write)

3. Set the permissions for FolderA for groupA to write, override, inherit
and do the same for
GroupB on folder B. Now members of GroupA can write in FolderA and members
of GroupB can write
FolderB and unless a member of either group has gotten the rights from
somewhere else she
can't write in the other groups folder.

The trick is to take away the rights you want to restrict from the group
the new groups are
based on.

Cheers,

Carl