[opencms-dev] CMS framework suggestion

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:14:24 CEST 2006

Yes it is designed to be that way. And there are several free third
party modules out there (eg article module etc).

Since I already had lots of legacy code I took a different approach to
integrating my application into OpenCms.

My approach is not to integrate the applications directly with
OpenCms. Instead I use HTTP GET to send requests to a middle web
services layer where all my hard "business logic" is stored (this is
actually another Java webapp running in the same Tomcat container).
That then sends pre-rendered HTML content to OpenCms which included in
the content area of my OpenCms template. Yes, there is some overhead
involved in generating HTTP GET requests etc but the FlexCache
compensates for this.

For example the content of this page
http://www.galway.net/about/gallery/ pulls images from a database and
formats it into a 3 column table.  All that work is done by the middle
layer.

So far this approach is working well. My middle layer application is
developed using Eclipse and it gets updated one a week by just droping
a new WAR file into to Tomcat -- no need to touch OpenCms.

I like to have a very clear separation of the business logic and the
CMS. If for some reason in the future I want to switch CMS I can do
with with out too much pain.

Joe.