[opencms-dev] Locale on-the-fly

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Tue Aug 15 12:39:51 CEST 2006

Yuriy -

I use Java rather than the OpenCms taglib, and in theory that makes things
quite easy.  Maybe this would be useful for you too.

For example, CmsJspActionElement provides a convenience method
getContent(String target, String element, Locale locale) which returns the
String contents of an element with xpath 'element' in resource with
site-relative path 'target'.  The value of locale in this case is a Locale
derived from language, rather than a country-specific one, since under the
hood OpenCms deals mainly with languages - so you'd pass in Locale.ENGLISH,
Locale.GERMAN etc, rather than Locale.UK etc.

If you're retrieving the contents of several XML elements, then it's more
efficient to get hold of an instance of the OpenCms interface
I_CmsXmlDocument.   Again, the Java API makes this fairly easy.  To use an
example from the source code of CmsJspActionElement itself:
final CmsResource cmsResource =
this.cmsObject.readResource(relativeResourcePath, CmsResourceFilter.ALL);
final CmsFile resourceFile = CmsFile.upgrade(cmsResource, this.cmsObject);
final CmsXmlContent xmlDocument =
CmsXmlContentFactory.unmarshal(this.cmsObject, resourceFile, true);

Jon

  _____